Metsä Wood Spruce WeatherGuard is a weather resistant spruce plywood panel for construction puposes. It is made of cross-bonded 3 mm thick coniferous veneers and bonded with a weather and boil-resistant phenolic resin adhesive. The hydrophobic surface rejects rainwater and reduces the amount of water absorbed by the panel during construction work. At the same time the surface allows the panel to breathe and water vapour to move freely.
The WeatherGuard treated surface can be further treated with paints, lacquers, varnishes and protection treatments.
- Reduced moisture intake
- Shorter drying period of structures
- Better dimensional stability
- Lower risk of either mould growth or blue staining occurring
- Treatment does not block water vapour movements
- Strong, rigid and lightweight panel
- Easy to machine and install using conventional woodworking tools and fasteners
- Weather and boil proof bonding
- Environmentally friendly
- Available with square edges and tongue-and-groove profile
During field tests in typical construction site settings, full size panels of Spruce WeatherGuard were placed horizontally to simulate roof and/or floor structures. The 72-hour test demonstrated that Spruce WeatherGuard panels absorbed only half of the amount of water compared to untreated spruce plywood. Due to the lower moisture content of Spruce WeatherGuard also the needed drying period is shorter. In the tests the difference of the drying period duration was 48 hours.