Western Red Cedar is synonymous with beauty and durability, thanks to its stunning colour palette and expected service life of 60+ years. Silva Select Prestige VG is a superb wood cladding material. It is 100% heartwood, 100% vertical grain, virtually knot-free, kiln-dried Western Red Cedar.
Silva Select Prestige VG TIGA Rainscreen cladding is used in conjunction with a unique fastening system which allows boards to be installed without any visible fixings. This simple, quick, and easy to install clip engages the board from the rear with 2 discrete component parts.
The Rainscreen is chamfered on both edges to provide an overlap between the boards and to drain water to the outside. The open joint creates strong shadow lines, which will accentuate the width of a façade. This type of cladding is suited to contemporary architectural styles.
- Sizes: 20 x 92mm.
- Grade: Silva Select Prestige VG produced from specially selected 100% No. 2 Clear & Better Vertical Grain.
- Profile: TIGA Rainscreen is an open jointed cladding style that can be installed without the need to face fix.
- Installation: Horizontal.
- Surface texture: Smooth.
- Moisture content: Kiln-dried at source to 12–15%.
- Fixings: Use in conjunction with TIGA Concealed Fixing Clips.
- Colour: Palette of rich, warm wood tones, which vary from light amber to dark reddish-brown.
- Vertical grain (VG): Vertical grain wood has superior properties to flat grain. It has better dimensional stability, better resistance to UV degradation, very low surface cracking and checking, and better finish absorption and retention qualities.
- Durability: When properly finished and maintained, Western Red Cedar will deliver decades of trouble-free service. It has a decay resistance of durability class 2 (durable) according to the EN 113 standard.
- Stability: Western Red Cedar has excellent dimensional stability because of its low wood density and shrinkage factor. Shrinkage and swelling are minimal, displaying only small movements with changes in humidity.
- Density: The wood of Western Red Cedar is light, weighing 330 to 340 kg/m3 when kiln-dried (12-15% moisture content).
- Thermal properties: Wood generally is an excellent thermal insulator, but Western Red Cedar has a particularly good insulation value because of its low wood density. Its coefficient of thermal conductivity (k) is 0.11 W/m °C at 12% moisture content.
- Acoustic properties: Western Red Cedar is particularly effective when used as interior panelling to dampen vibrations and absorb sound.
- Kiln-dried: Select Prestige VG Western Red Cedar is kiln-dried, giving it many advantages. The process improves dimensional stability, permits the immediate application of a coating, and enables installation with minimal site acclimatisation.
- Grading: Select Prestige VG is produced from the highest specification Western Red Cedar available. The wood fibre is fine-grained, coastal grown, virtually knot-free No. 2 Clear & Better grade (No. 4 Clear not permitted). It is specially selected to ensure every piece is vertical grain, and every piece is heartwood.
- Sourcing/certification: Silva Select Prestige VG Western Red Cedar is sourced from the most sustainably managed forests in the world in British Columbia, Canada, and comes with PEFC certification.