Western Red Cedar is synonymous with beauty and durability, thanks to its stunning colour palette and expected service life of 60+ years. The raw material used to produce Silva’s No. 2 Clear & Better 85/15 Western Red Cedar cladding is sourced from forests in the coastal regions of British Columbia, Canada – an area known for its high quality, fine-grained old-growth logs.
Western Red Cedar Tongue & Groove V-Joint looks stunning indoors too, creating a feeling of warmth and luxury on accent walls or feature ceilings. Its excellent dimensional stability makes it perfect for high moisture areas such as bathrooms, kitchens, conservatories, swimming pools, and saunas.
Aimed at contractors for larger-scale projects, the grading of Silva Select Contractor is less stringent than with the Silva Select Prestige VG range. Most boards (approximately 85%) meet the grading rules for ‘No. 2 Clear & Better’, with a smaller percentage (approximately 15%) falling into the ‘No. 4 Clear’ grade. For this reason, occasional pieces will exhibit slightly larger knots, knot holes, and other characteristics that are otherwise not permitted in the ‘No. 2 Clear & Better’ grade.
Old-growth Western Red Cedar is used to produce Silva Select Contractor. The raw material is harvested from forests in the coastal regions of British Columbia, Canada, an area, known to yield the ?nest, dense grained cedar logs.
The Tongue & Groove V-Joint profile can be installed horizontally or vertically. A bevel on both edges of the face creates a neat v-shaped shadow line that accentuates the height or width of any façade, providing a sharp contemporary appearance.
- Board size: 18 x 92mm, 18 x 142mm.
- Grade: No. 2 Clear & Better - 85% / No. 4 Clear - 15%.
- Profile: Tongue & Groove connection with a bevelled edge to create a v-shaped shadow line.
- Installation: Horizontal or vertical.
- Surface texture: Smooth.
- Moisture content: Kiln-dried at source to 12–15%.
- Colour: Palette of rich, warm wood tones, which vary from light amber to dark reddish-brown.
- Durability: When properly finished and maintained, Western Red Cedar will deliver decades of trouble-free service. It has a decay resistance of durability class 2 (durable) according to the EN 113 standard.
- Stability: Western Red Cedar has excellent dimensional stability because of its low wood density and shrinkage factor.
- Density: The wood of Western Red Cedar is light, weighing 330 to 340 kg/m3 when kiln-dried (12-15% moisture content).
- Thermal properties: Wood generally is an excellent thermal insulator, but Western Red Cedar has a particularly good insulation value because of its low wood density.
- Acoustic properties: Western Red Cedar is particularly effective when used as interior panelling to dampen vibrations and absorb sound.
- Kiln-dried: Silva Select Western Red Cedar is kiln-dried, giving it many advantages.
- Grading: Produced from 85% No. 2 Clear & Better / 15% No. 4 Clear Western Red Cedar.
- Sourcing/certification: Silva Select Western Red Cedar is sourced from the most sustainably managed forests in the world in British Columbia, Canada, and comes with PEFC certification.